About Us and Our Aims
To contact us, please email
The East London Garden Society was established in 2012 and since that time we have become a noted authority within the gardening community of East London. Thanks to Facebook we are now global.
Having failed to find an organisation in London which was able to reach all gardeners, the idea to form a garden society came from a group of people who wanted to help better manage their gardens and pool their resources. We now have The Voice, which is a monthly magazine, Facebook, and this website.
The Society can only be run by its members to improve gardening and provide a better understanding of the environment in which we all live.
The year 2017 will see The East London Garden Society work with others to produce a London Flower Show in September 2017 and build on our reputation to construct gardens (see Garden Building & Design for more information) and promote gardening as well as making people aware of the benefits of gardening, both mentally and physically. We also hope to once again inaugurate a grant giving programme for the gardeners of east London.
The film Gardening is Good is a film made by The East London Garden Society of people in east London about their personal interpretations and experience of gardening in Hackney and Tower Hamlets. All those taking part have a passion for gardening.
One of the major aims of The East London Garden Society is to lessen the burden of gardeners so they are able to further their passion.
We all look forward to an exciting year for gardeners in 2017. Remember, we only exist because of you, so please let us know what you’d like from the Society.
We aim to promote and enhance the well being of the people of London by:
- Providing opportunities to participate in the practical and theoretical skills of horticulture and gardening.
- Improving knowledge and experience by joining together to increase community involvement and cohesion.
- Promoting the skills of horticulture and gardening.
- Educating people about the health and environmental benefits of gardening.
- Introducing children and young people to gardening.
- Encouraging community cohesion through shared gardening, shared gardens and community projects.
- Protecting, promoting and enhancing green spaces of all sizes.
- Celebrating excellent gardens and green spaces.
We instigate, promote, enter into and participate in any projects, schemes or proposals with any organisation or group which in the opinion of the Society will achieve or advance the Society's aims and objectives.